Sunday 17 February 2013

WISHFUL THINKING.....

FANTASY WISHING WELL




“What is yours will always come back to you”. Severally, I have heard this axiom spoken and used to imbibe assurance into the simple folks by the seemingly wise and accomplished philosophers but I have always thought that the cliché was overrated. I equally believed that it was mere consolation for complacency, tardiness and ultimately, it depicts dangerous folly.

As an individual, I aptly believe in being ambitious and strategic. I set out to achieve seemingly mammoth tasks and a smug smile lights up my face after every deserved victory. Anyway, another unwavering belief of mine faced imminent alteration or modification as a result of a didactic occurrence early last week.
Here goes my tale:
Diligence, hard work, good deeds, recompense and consequences are popular words in my personal dictionary. I vigorously pursue what I want and trust me, I almost always get it.
However, that has not being the story of my life in the last 16 months. I have had series of disappointments, delays in the stead of my traditional “touchdowns”. The most recent of which became consequential of my publication “FIGHTING” but in the midst of thick darkness, when not a flicker of light illuminated. A pale amber beamed.
Depressed and frustrated over losing something I desperately wanted, I turned to my fall back plan which I had treated with negligence. Unfortunately, it seemed as though my plan B wouldn’t work out too but I was about to become a believer.
Sometime in May 2012, I applied for an MBA in a federal university. I was certain I would be admitted but the admission process stalled and out of pressure from every angle, I worked out a plan B as a strategist, I Picked up another form, this time for MSC in a different university in September, 2012.

It turned out that I didn’t get the MBA admission and this I discovered in January 2013. My only option against my desire was to take up plan B. To my astonishment and horror, plan B had being sealed since November 2012 and admission letters were already distributed. Pandemonium erupted in my head as my beautiful strategy came crashing down and I watched helpless.
Well, like people say, life goes on and I decided to forge ahead. I made a trip to the plan B University for frivolity sake. Guess what I discovered!
An admission letter had already being mailed to me a day before but how? I had no recommendation letter from any one that mattered. I was bemused and decided to look for answers. I later unraveled the mystery behind the admission. After all recommendations had being sent in, received and processed. The department decided to pick out a few deserving candidates using past academic records as criteria and viola! I got in.

It wasn’t my first choice but it definitely has the word providence written all over it.
As I walked out of the Department, I met with my good old buddy and after I narrated my story, he said the following words. ”what is yours will always come back to you”. I guffawed and replied, “that is an overrated cliché” but he didn’t stop talking, he went on to add, “Only if you give it a little push”. Immediately, it hit me like a stone thrown in water and the epiphany widened like the ripples the stone makes. Yes, I gasped. It makes sense now I guess.

Keeping your legs crossed and occupying a stationary position is all dangerous folly and mere wishful thinking when attributed to the axiom” what is yours will come back to you” but the moment you launch out of that inertia and “give it a little push” it will of a surety become yours. So, while I still maintain my stand that the axiom “what is yours will always come back to you” is overrated and reeks of complacency, I would like to note also that I am a believer of the axiom if the prefix “only if you give it a little push” is attached to the end.

Don’t cross your arms and tarry for it to come, push a little, set the ball rolling and see where it takes you. After all, I bought the form first!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment